Monday, July 1, 2019

Travel Now -- or Have Regrets Later

“I should have gone to Greece when my friend still lived there,” lamented my friend Carol. We'd been talking about all the amazing places we’ve traveled, and I was sharing my stories from a trip to India some years ago as she prepares to head there for the first time.

Next, we considered our regrets, naming places we've never been, and somehow both of us neglected to get to Greece. Also, I should have gone to Antarctica when it was far less expensive. On the other hand, I hate being cold and the layering up that's necessary to avoid being cold.

The last nine years in San Francisco's Mediterranean climate have completely spoiled me, and now I want nothing to do with extreme weather, heat or cold. I take it personally!


Two decades ago, older friends counseled me to go everywhere I could, because the time would come when travel would seem more of a hassle than a joy. “Oh no!” I said at the time. “That won’t happen to me!” And now it has.

If any of those friends were still around, I could let them know they were absolutely right. They are gone, and now I’m the one telling younger people to get wherever they want to go before the desire cools. "Planes leave every day -- just go," I say. Are they listening? That doesn’t matter. I'm saying it.

Carol has not put away her suitcase and she may still get to Greece, but now I’m content to leave the Big Trips to others and spend time exploring Northern California. I’ve been lucky enough to make way more than my fair share of international trips, because the newspaper where I used to work sent me on many wonderful adventures. Plus, since leaving the paper, I’ve managed to get travel assignments from time to time.

My first experience with travel was a trip to Washington, D.C., when I was in high school in St. Louis, Mo. The joy of being somewhere unfamiliar was intoxicating! Since then, I’ve had the privilege of exploring parts of 32 of our 50 states. I don’t often go anywhere twice, because there is so much to see in the world, but I’ve made three visits to Alaska and four to Hawaii, two favorite destinations. Also, I’ve meandered through a dozen glorious national parks, staring at mountains, talking to trees and sitting by water.

The newspaper sent me on a handful of cruises to the Caribbean Islands, with stops at ports in Antigua, the Bahamas, Barbuda, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Jamaica, St. Kitts, Saint Lucia, Nevis and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

I’ve also been to Argentina, Australia, Austria, Costa Rica, the Galapagos Islands off Ecuador, Egypt, England, France, Germany, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, the Netherlands, Nicaragua, Tanzania and Vatican City. In Canada, I’ve spent time in British Columbia, Manitoba, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Quebec and the Yukon Territory.

Those were the days! Gone, but certainly not forgotten.

When Carol told me she’s heading to India, so many memories from there flooded my mind – rich images, impressions and anecdotes, all remarkably vivid and fresh -- though the two-week trip I made was back in 1985. I babbled for a bit, sharing some of the memories.

I told her about the contact list provided on the bedside table at a hotel in Varanasi, which listed numbers for the front desk, the fire department and the astrologer. I remembered how the teenage female elephant that lived at the hotel in Agra would take a dollar bill from my hand and put it in her trainer's pocket -- and that when I brought her sugar cubes, the elephant reached into my backpack to get at them. And I told Carol about the day I gave my driver in Madras a marigold garland, not realizing that meant we were engaged.


I added this piece of advice: “Don’t buy a sari. It will seem like a good idea, but when you get it home, you will wonder why.” She laughed and said maybe she’d shop for scarves, instead.

Because I’m no longer spending money on travel, I’m allowing myself to buy more theater tickets these days, and that conversation with Carol took place while we were at Berkeley Rep. Driving back home, I pondered whether I might change my mind and hop on a plane again. Though I know better than to say I’ll never be lured by another amazing opportunity, I've decided it’s fine with me if my traveling days are over.

I have memories, I have photographs and I also have copies of the many travel stories I’ve penned over the years for newspapers, magazines and websites. If you’re interested in traveling with me vicariously, here are some recent links:

https://www.enterprise.com/en/inspiration/drives/road-trip-san-francisco-to-yosemite.html?mcid=socialorganic:24886592

https://www.enterprise.com/en/inspiration/drives/road-trip-to-calistoga-california.html?mcid=socialorganic:32181381

https://www.stltoday.com/travel/aquariums-of-california-offer-glimpses-into-marine-life/article_acc3b66c-3364-5e29-99f2-a351034b7f1c.html

https://www.stltoday.com/travel/explore-the-wonders-of-europe-on-a-river-cruise/article_65c70789-3c7f-5dc2-bf83-ed1669702b4c.html

And if you’re staying home because you are reluctant to travel on your own – think again! Here are my tips:

https://www.nextavenue.org/why-you-should-travel-alone/

Happy Trails!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment